For overall marketing strategy, SEO is very important. However, to drive more organic traffic to the website, only one type of optimization is not enough.
Here, in this article, I am going to explain 7 different types of SEO that will help you increase your site ranking.
Before starting with the types, let’s quickly see what is SEO?
SEO is the important part of digital marketing which helps in increasing the traffic on your website and also helps in improving the ranking of your website, blog, or article on any search engine like Yahoo, Google, Bing, etc.
Now let’s understand the types of SEO in detail:
White Hat SEO
White Hat SEO is ethical and organic SEO. In White Hat SEO, we follow all the techniques and guidelines of search engines. It is a slow process, but we will get far more impactful and long-lasting growth in ranking. It is always advisable to use White Hat techniques as it helps in building the user’s trust and authority on our website. It also helps in improving online reputation value by looking and analyzing what the potential customers or other people will find about the brand or the products and services when they perform Google searches.
White Hat SEO techniques include:
- Use of proper keywords – Attention should always be given to using proper keywords as it helps in improving your ranking. Stick to one primary keyword and two or three supportive keywords.
- Quality content – Content is the king you should never forget. Good quality content helps to attract more and more people so always focus on providing good and informative content. It is the best way to be noticed by search engines and improve search engine ranking.
- Website navigation – Website navigation is very important from the user’s point of view as it helps users in finding things easily. Simple and easy navigation attracts customers. They feel happy while surfing and thus helps in potential conversion.
- Backlinks – Always focuses on increasing the number of high-quality backlinks to the website. Hyperlinks from one website to another and search engines have direct relations with each other. Therefore the more you earn from the other trustworthy sites the more Google will reward your company’s website.
- Fast page loading time – Fast page loading time is very important from the visitor’s point of view. Same as easy navigation, fast loading of websites does not frustrate visitors. Sites that are slow in responding generally rank low on the search engine result pages.
Black Hat SEO
Black Hat SEO is just the opposite of White Hat SEO. It is considered unethical SEO. In this we do not follow any search engine guidelines rather we find the loopholes or weaknesses of the search engines to rank better on the search engine result page. By using Black Hat SEO we may get quick and good results but not for a longer period of time. So we should always avoid using Black Hat SEO. Once found by a search engine can block your website or can even put your website under a black list. And black listed cannot be recovered.
Here are some Black Hat tactics that should be avoided:
- Spam Comments – It is one of the most popular Black Hat techniques. There are various tools available in the market to automatically spread spam comments across the web, even sometimes it is done manually also. It is usually done to create backlinks and increase their chance of good ranking on the search engine result page. But these are not relevant at all. So you should never use spam comments and should also make sure that you are not getting them on your website, blog or article too. As it harms your blog or website by making it look unprofessional. For this, you can use blocking plugins to filter out the spam comment on your website or blog.
- Paid Links – Paid links are generally made from different sites by making some payment which is used to improve their ranking on SERP. As their intention is just to improve search engine ranking not the quality of content which is wrong. This is not for the benefit of the customer so you should always avoid paid links.
- Duplicate Content – Searchengines always prefer unique content. Copying content purposely from different sites is one of the bad Black Hat techniques as it impacts your search engine ranking. It turns original content into duplicate and relevant links to irrelevant. So you should always avoid copying and pasting the content in multiple places.
- Cloaking – Cloaking is ranking a website for some different keywords. For example, if a website is related to electronics items and a user searches for sports items, the URL he will be getting will be from electronics. So when the customer didn’t get the content related to their relevant keyword is called cloaking. Presenting different content and URL to customers and search engines. It should not be done as it hampers the user’s experience and also violates the search engine guidelines.
- Keyword Stuffing – Keyword stuffing means using the same keyword multiple times on the same page for generating website traffic and ranking. It is one of the famous Black Hat techniques. But search engines are very smart these days.
- Hidden Text – Hiddentext means hiding the text by making the color of the background and the text the same. This makes the text completely invisible for the users but still, the search engines can detect them.
- URL Hijacking – In this, they make similar kinds of URLs of the websites which are already famous and have a good customer base. Here the intention is to divert the customer to their respective page or website.
Grey Hat SEO
Grey Hat SEO techniques lie between White Hat SEO and Black Hat SEO. It is mostly used by SEO agencies because of the pressure to bring their website in good search engine ranking and get their desired result. If used properly can improve your site’s ranking without making you penalized.
Here are some Grey Hat SEO techniques that can help you in getting your desired results:
- Purchasing old domains – This is one of the popular Grey Hat techniques. It works great if done in the right way. This is done to create backlinks but before buying any domain you should check properly whether it has been penalized in the past or not. it should be according to your niche and free from any bad links.
- Updating old content – See your old content of how many words you have posted on the blogs and update it for 2000 plus words. As lengthy content helps in grabbing more traffic from the search engine especially if you are from a competitive industry.
- Right keyword stuffing – Keyword stuffing is bad SEO practice but doing it in the right way can do wonders. You should use the keyword at the right place such as Title Tag, URL, Beginning and ending of the content, etc, and for an appropriate number of times which means the keyword should be used once in every 100 words. But if you still want to be on the safer side, use only 5 times in a thousand-word article.
- Using a Private blogging network – Using a private blogging network comes under Black Hat SEO if it is used for duplicate content and irrelevant backlinks. But if you are using it for good quality content relevant to the topic then it is under Grey Hat SEO.
- Using Bookmarking Sites – Sharing your website links to different bookmarking sites helps in improving SEO. But excessive sharing can be harmful. So it is advisable to share your posts once across all bookmarking sites. It helps in improving the search engine ranking and getting good traffic to your website.
Here are a few bookmarking sites where posts can be shared to get more links: Folkd, Inbound, Slashdot, Digg, etc.
- Use of Web Directories – Web Directories help in generating high-quality backlinks. For this, you need to submit your website to Web Directories but before submitting proper research should be done on which web directories are good for generating backlinks.
- Multiple Social Media Accounts – Having multiple social media accounts helps in increasing the followers and traffic to your website. As several dummy social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc help in increasing social presence.
It is not that all SEO follow black hat SEO techniques to rank their website. But some of them follow Negative SEO to reduce their competitor’s search engine ranking so that they can benefit from it by taking their place.
Here are some of the methods used under Negative SEO:
- Posting negative comments or reviews about someones’ business on different online platforms
- Removing all backlinks by sending a fake removal request to webmasters
- Hacking someone’s website
- Creating a duplicate of the website
- Building low-quality links
On-Page SEO is the practice of optimizing the individual web page to rank higher on the search engine result page and get the relevant traffic. On-page optimization is a very important SEO technique. It is required for all your posts on the website. It takes very little time and has to do it only once. Things needed to do on-page SEO:
- Content with image – Content should be unique, original and should satisfy the website visitors which you can check from websites like Duplichecker, Plagiarism, etc. The length of the content should lie between 1500 to 2000 words and should also create images for your posts which can be created from different free websites like Canva, Pixabay, etc or can download the copyright-free images from Google, etc.
- Target Keywords – Keyword research is very important to rank your website. You should have a list of keywords for which you want to rank your posts. There are many tools available for doing keyword research like Google keyword planner, Google suggests, Semrush, etc. You should also have 2-3 secondary keywords with the primary keyword.
- Yoast plugin – Yoast plugin is best for On-page SEO. It is a free plugin available. There is a list of checklists available for the Yoast plugin. You just need to do the plugin accordingly.
On-Page SEO is very important but if you want to meet the desired result you have to focus on Off-Page SEO too. It deals with the activities that are performed outside the website to improve the ranking on the search engine result page. Off-page optimization tells the search engine what people think about your website. It is a more off-link building.
Here are some of the most widely used off-page SEO elements:
- Backlinks – Link building is very important to improve your ranking on SERPs. Backlinks are also called inbound links. The link to an external website is called backlinks. It is important to make sure that visitors know about your business and also for the people looking for more information on the same or related topic.
- Social Media Marketing – Social media marketing is one of the most effective techniques of Off-page SEO. It is the best platform to extend the reach of your content and brand. It provides more visibility to your business and is a good source of valuable backlinks. These sites are Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.
- Forums Posting – It is important to find and participate in forum discussions that are related to your products and services. Building connections and engaging with them like solving their problems, giving advice, taking suggestions on various issues helps in improving ranking on SERPs and in driving traffic to your website. It also gives exposure to new customers.
- Guest content – This is another SEO marketing technique that comes under Off-page SEO benefits. There are many blogs available for a guest posts. You just need to identify the keyword you are interested in and then can search in Google. This helps in increasing the website visibility and brand awareness among the customers and thus results in driving more traffic to the website.
Improving the technical aspects of the website to increase traffic is called Technical SEO. Technical SEO is all about making a website faster, understandable, and easier to crawl for search engines. It is important to optimize your site technically so that search engines can read, understand or index your pages properly so that they can reward you with a high ranking. Search engines can also penalize you if they find any serious technical mistake. A good, easy, and user-friendly website always pleases both the users and the search engines.
Things needed to get technically optimize the website:
- SSL Certificate – SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer. It is a security protocol used to establish encrypted links between the web server and a browser. Users will not feel secure visiting an unsecured website which can result in a low ranking in SERP. So it is advisable to install a security certificate on your website domain and migrate your website to HTTPS.
- Responsive – If your website is not responsive or not mobile-friendly then you can suffer a huge loss. As of today most of us prefer using mobile for any kind of surfing. Even some are taking a bit longer time to load which results in abandonment by the users.
- Eliminate duplicate content – Having duplicate content on your website can also result in a low ranking on search engines and thus can affect traffic. There are tools like SMERUSH’s site audit available which helps in detecting the duplicate content on your website.
- Eliminate toxic backlinks – Tools like Google Search Console have records of the sites that are backlinking your site and also give you a domain score to evaluate irrelevant backlinks.
Local SEO is an effective way of marketing your local business online. It helps in giving your business more visibility and promoting your products and services online to your local area. And this is done through the local pack. The local back is the result page displayed after the Google search with local intent. And everything that is displayed on the local pack comes from the Google My Business Profile. It is very important as Google tries to satisfy search queries directly on SERP. Google My Business profile includes address, business hours, reviews, photos, etc.
Importance of local SEO:
- It is efficient and cost-effective
- Many local SEO tools are free such as Google My Business
- Most people trust Google search instead of personal opinion. They go according to reviews
- Local SEO helps your business to stand out in local searches and helps in driving more traffic even if you don’t have a website for your business
One of the powerful tools for any kind of website is SEO. It will help you increase your site visibility, ranking and in the end accomplish your goal.
Using one optimization technique is good for a while if you are just starting with optimizing a site. However, in the long term, I would suggest using multiple strategies if you really want to boost your search ranking. It doesn’t matter the kind of website you are trying to optimize, use at least two to three types to improve and higher your ranking.